Shopify Clamps Down on Gun Sellers
The Left is never content to have a disagreement. They do everything they can to destroy those who see the world differently from them. If you are a Trump supporter, or are pro-Second Amendment- they will come after your job, threaten your family, attack you in the streets, chase you out of public places, and worse. All of these things have been happening since Trump won the election.
But most of the violence is financial in nature. Like conservatives being shadow banned and kicked off of social media platforms- damaging their revenue streams severely. People who oppose gun rights are effectively enforcing gun control on their own. Credit processors are reluctant to extend services to gun makers and distributors, calling them “high-risk merchants.”
Now the online commerce platform Shopify has done a 180-degree turn from their promise to remain a free and open service. They have banned guns and gun-related sellers from their site. The site delivered a devastating blow to over 600,000 sellers by removing their seller’s accounts. They did it suddenly, and without warning, depriving over half a million businesses in the US and Canada of their primary revenue streams.
Last week, the online merchant hosting site altered their “Acceptable Use Policy.” It now includes a ban on semi-automatic guns, guns without serial numbers, magazines that hold more than 10 rounds, unfinished lower receivers and more.
The Daily Wire covered this story with a statement from the Florida based gun maker, Spike’s Tactical. It said, “The new rules will essentially shut down the sale of guns, gun parts and accessories over the Internet by retailers who use Shopify. This decision will have significant ramifications on our business and should concern every online retailer and Second Amendment supporter.”
Spike’s Tactical takes millions of dollars in sales every year through its Shopify account, and they invested over $100,000 in the online store’s development. Their revenue and their work will be lost when the new rules go into effect.
The ban will affect stores that also carries any of the following;
- an automatic firearm that has not been rendered inoperable
- a semi-automatic firearm that has the capacity to accept a detachable magazine, with one or more of the following items:
- magazine capable of accepting more than 10 rounds
- bump stock
- rapid fire trigger activator or trigger crank
- barrel shroud
- thumbhole stock
- threaded barrel capable of accepting a flash suppressor, sound suppressor or silencer
- grenade or rocket launcher
- flash suppressor, sound suppressor or silencer
- pistol grip (or in the case of a pistol, a second pistol grip)
- forward pistol grip
- a semi-automatic firearm that has a fixed magazine with the capacity to accept more than 10 rounds
- firearms without serial numbers
- ghost guns and 3D printed guns, including blueprints for such guns
- any part, component or kit for any firearm or gun listed above
- 80% or unfinished lower receivers
At the beginning of the change notification they claim that they have the right to change their terms of service at any time. So, if you want to build your house on sand, Shopify is the place for you.
Apparently not seeing the irony, Tobias Lütke, the founder, and CEO of the e-commerce website, claims to take great pride in the company’s pro-free speech stance. He wrote a post for Medium in 2017 that read, “We don’t like Breitbart, but products are speech and we are pro-free speech. This means protecting the right of organizations to use our platform even if they are unpopular or if we disagree with their premise, as long as they are within the law.”
That post has now been deleted but was archived by the Daily Wire and others.
This just shows how important it is for gun rights supporters and for conservatives, in general, to create platforms for themselves where freedom of speech will be protected, and to pressure companies that do not support free and open exchange.
~ National Gun Network