Blue States Have Gone Loopy for Gun Control
Barack Obama focused so intensely on restricting the Second Amendment — through his “backdoor channels” — from 2009 through 2016 that Democrat-controlled state legislatures pretty much put things on cruise control. Now that America has a president in the White House who respects the Second Amendment, things have flip-flopped. States and municipalities under Democrat control are suddenly carrying the water for the gun-grabbing lobby. Michael Bloomberg’s money isn’t going to spend itself on anti-American, anti-freedom social causes!
It seems that gun grabbing has now become an official platform for the Democrats and they’re not going to rest anytime soon. Sadly, a number of Republican governors have jumped on board as well. They’ll just keep chiseling away at the Second Amendment until they think there’s nothing left to take.
Things really kicked into high gear in blue states following the (possibly false flag) attack in Las Vegas and the Parkland shooting. Never mind the fact that the Parkland Commission investigating that shooting recently ruled that a single armed staffer could have stopped shooter Nikolas Cruz. Oh, and Cruz used neutered 5-round magazines in his attack. Shhhhh! The Narrative!
New Jersey has been an absolute beast to gun owners. On June 13 alone, New Jersey’s far-left governor signed a big string of new gun control bills into “law.” 15-round magazines are outlawed there, with the maximum size now being 10 rounds. Background checks are now required for private sales; you have to hunt down an FLL holder if you want to sell a gun to your neighbor — imagine having to do that to sell any other tool, like a lawn mower. Loosely-defined (isn’t it always) “armor piercing” ammunition is banned.
The most worrying new laws of all in New Jersey, which even mental health experts are worried about, are New Jersey’s “Red Flag” laws. Mental health workers are supposed to call the cops on any clients they think might be dangerous. How’s that for a treat? State courts can also issue “extreme risk protection orders,” so a gun owner can be disarmed on a judge’s say-so.
The problem with all these so-called Red Flag laws, which everyone should see coming from a mile away and protest, is that another person arbitrarily gets to decide whether an individual can exercise a constitutional right. Going to therapy with a psychologist, psychiatrist or other mental health expert is not a sign that someone is going to flip out and shoot someone.
Where do you draw the line once that Pandora’s Box has been opened? Can a couple be disarmed for seeing a marriage counselor? Don’t laugh — that’s what Sen. John Cornyn’s (R-TX) mental health gun bill does.
Florida banned bump stocks, raised the gun-buying age to 21 and imposed a 3-day waiting period on all firearms purchases. A domestic abuse conviction in New York will now cost a person all of their firearms, not just handguns. Rhode Island imposed a Red Flag law and banned a host of scary-looking (to liberals) gun accessories. Vermont did all of the above. Up next will be the 3D printed gun bans, even though the cat is out of the bag on that issue (and he’s never going back in the bag).
What is all of this accomplishing? Not much, other than turning hundreds of thousands of law-abiding Americans into “overnight felons” because they don’t comply with the new restrictions or simply don’t pay any attention to the new laws to begin with.
Connecticut banned all so-called “assault” weapons in 2013 unless they were registered with the government. When it came time for everyone to fill out the paperwork, about 15 percent complied. The other 85 percent are now felons unless they moved to Texas or Montana.
In New York, an estimated 96 percent of AR-15 owners refused to comply with a similar law. That leaves close to a million felons on the street in New York. The same goes for California.
Deerfield, Illinois passed a law just recently banning all spooky-looking semiautomatics; it carries a $1,000-per-day fine for anyone who doesn’t run straight to the local police department and turn in their guns.
Here’s to hoping that the amount of civil disobedience taking place in these states is keeping the politicians up at night. Gun owners have little to no intention of using their guns to fight off criminals. We rarely encounter criminals in a situation that warrants a defensive gun use anyway. As for the politicians, well, that’s another matter.
~ National Gun News